What is a residency?
Most weeks of the year, 101’s spaces are transformed by a buzz of activity and making, thought and conversation, as artists and companies take over our spaces, living and working at 101 for an intensive period.
New work takes shape; or early ideas are trialled, researched and developed; and visions change and develop.
The residency programme is 101's main strand of work - supporting the creation of new work for the outdoors, and nurturing talent and ideas.
A residency can explore any stage of the development of ideas, from the early stages of research and development, to making or producing a piece of work. Our resident artists and companies come from a wide range of arts, theatre and performance disciplines.
“It’s not often you get to be in a space where you can make a mess and feel relaxed. I think we’ve all bonded a lot more this week. It’s been nice to be able to cook together and have the evenings together.“
Becky Namgauds, Choreographer, Dancer and Movement Director.
101 supports residencies by providing:
- space for rehearsing or making work, accommodation in our artists' village, and communal kitchen and dining facilities for self-catering on site.
- We have a regular chef who can be booked, for a catered residency experience.
- access to our fabrication workshop and advice on making props and structures.
- Alternatively, commission our Head of Design or a resident maker to make bespoke items for you. Contact us to discuss ideas and costs.
- mentoring, and advice on production and administration.
- help arranging performances or informal sharings of work in progress, with opportunities for feedback.
- support with project documentation.
COVID 19 update:
We have been working with companies & artists to create opportunities for the development of work to continue in a safe and considered environment.